Installation Professionals Business Insurance
What kind of work do you do?
Person installing solar panels.
Choose from the nation's best insurance providers
Logos of Insureon's business insurance carrier partners

Contractor’s tools and equipment insurance for installation businesses

Contractor’s tools and equipment coverage icon

Contractor's tools and equipment insurance

This policy helps pay for repair or replacement of a contractor’s tools and equipment if they are lost, stolen, or damaged. The items typically must be less than five years old.

Protect your installation business while on the go

Contractor’s tools and equipment insurance is a type of inland marine insurance designed for mobile items. As you travel from one installation job to another, you need insurance that covers your tools and equipment wherever you take them. If your drywall finishing tools are stolen from outside a client’s home, for instance, contractor’s tools and equipment insurance can pay the replacement cost.

This policy usually offers coverage for:

  • Equipment less than five years old
  • Mobile equipment
  • Small tools

Bundle policies to save money and increase coverage

If you run a small installation business, you should look into bundling contractor’s equipment insurance with your general liability insurance or business owner's policy (BOP). This policy offers coverage for up to $10,000. If you have more expensive equipment, you may need to purchase inland marine insurance.

Speak with a licensed Insureon agent about contractor’s equipment coverage for your installation company.

Find contractor's tools and equipment insurance quotes for installers

Contractor’s equipment insurance covers damage from work incidents

Contractor’s tools and equipment coverage doesn’t only pay for stolen items like a tool box that disappears from your truck. If your equipment is damaged by vandalism or a work accident, this policy will pay for repair or replacement. However, it does not cover general wear and tear.

Contractor’s tools and equipment coverage can protect:

  • Hand tools, such as saws, wrenches, and hammers
  • Power tools, like drills, nail guns, and jigsaws
  • Heavy equipment, such as forklifts and skid loaders

Customize a policy to fit your installation business

Not all installation businesses have the same insurance requirements. Our licensed Insureon agents can help your appliance, flooring, or other installation company secure a policy that provides optimal protection for your profession’s risks.

Other important policies for installers

Contractor’s tools and equipment insurance covers the value of lost, stolen, and damaged items, but it doesn’t provide coverage for injuries or many other risks. Installation business owners should also consider:

General liability insurance: This policy covers legal defense costs from a customer's bodily injury or property damage, such as a customer who sues an appliance installer over scratched hardwood floors.

Business owner's policy: A BOP bundles general liability coverage with commercial property insurance at a discount. It protects against common accidents and business property damage.

Workers’ compensation insurance: Workers’ comp helps pay for medical expenses from work-related injuries and illnesses. It's required in most states for installation businesses that have employees.

Commercial auto insurance: This policy covers accidents involving a vehicle owned by your installation business. Most states require this coverage for vehicles owned by a business. You may need a mobile equipment endorsement for forklifts and other machinery driven on public roads.

Cyber insurance: Any business that handles personal information, from credit card numbers to email addresses, should carry this coverage. It covers costs related to data breaches and cyberattacks.

Get free quotes and buy online with Insureon

Are you ready to safeguard your installation business with contractor’s tools and equipment insurance, or another policy? Complete Insureon’s easy online application today. Once you find the right policy, you can begin coverage in less than 24 hours.

Updated: September 11, 2023
Find quotes for contractor’s equipment insurance
Save money by comparing insurance quotes from multiple carriers.
How much does insurance cost for installation businesses?How do construction and contractor licenses and permits work?What does it mean to be bonded and insured?Employee vs. contractor: How to make the right choiceWhat to know about HVAC contractor licensing requirements