At some point, most small-business owners make a major leap – whether that’s a leap to hiring your first employee, expanding your service offerings, moving out of the home office, or something else. These forward jumps can be exciting, scary, and lucrative. Done right, they can also be a great excuse to build buzz about your business and engage with your target audience.
In fact, Yahoo! is currently doing exactly that: with a planned rebrand launching September 1, the search engine is marking the event with a month-long buildup. In addition to revealing a (rejected) new logo every day, Yahoo! is using the 30-day period before its rebrand to engage its users in discussions of its history.
How to Leverage More Business from Your Business Updates
Here’s a look at how you can take a page from Yahoo!’s book to drum up excitement about the next big thing in your business.
- Emails: In addition to sending emails to your existing clients about the updates you have planned for your business, you can add a line to your existing signature about the changes, including a link to a website where people can find more information.
- Blog posts: If you already maintain a company blog, it’s a prime platform for alerting readers about the changes you’re making. If you haven’t already spent time making sure your blog is searchable by major search engines, an overhaul or major change is a good opportunity to do just that. If you aren’t sure how to do this on your own, consider hiring an SEO contractor to help you set up your blog, link it to your social network profiles, and establish best practices for maintaining it through strategic posts and keyword usage.
- Online ads: Whether on Google, Facebook, or another platform, online ads let you send a specific message to a highly targeted demographic. Try creating ads specific to your newest offering and targeting them to the people most likely to need that service or product.
- Contests or Giveaways: Social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter make hosting contests and giveaways easier than ever, and launching a new product or service is a great excuse to hold such an event. Giveaways also provide an excellent opportunity to grow your fan base, which allows you to be in touch with more prospective clients at all times. Spread the word about the giveaway by buying contest-specific ads, and you can kill two birds with one stone.
- Press Release: If you’re not in the habit of issuing press releases about your business, now is an excellent time to start. Introducing a new product or service is the kind of newsworthy event that merits a press release, and when you announce your news via wires, you have the potential to reach readers around the web. Not sure how to write a press release? Hire a freelance copywriter with PR experience to get the most out of your release.
Risk Management: The Other Side of Growth
While introducing new products or services presents a great opportunity to expand your business, it also exposes your business to new risks. Keep in mind that any time you make a major business change (such as moving offices, hiring new employees, or offering new services), you may need to update your business insurance to make sure you’re still protected.