The advent of the holidays brings with it the usual competition by small and large businesses alike to attract customers by offering the best holiday deals. But did you know that there is another way to get customers’ attention this holiday season?
On the heels of what is for most businesses the most profitable weekend of the year, #GivingTuesday is a day that promotes and celebrates businesses giving back to their communities. According to a recent study by Ernst & Young, 62% of small business owners believe giving back makes their companies more successful—and we couldn’t agree more. Insureon, along with other corporations such as Microsoft and Discover Card, is participating in the day with matching gifts programs and volunteer initiatives.
As a proud partner of the non-profit organization 1WORLD Sports, we encourage all small businesses to get out there and give back to their communities.
Not sure where to start? Here are five easy (and cheap!) ways your company can give back on #GivingTuesday:
- Contribute to charitable auctions. Offering gift certificates for services or goods is a simple way to help your favorite charity. Is your business the perfect place to host a charitable or fundraising event? You can donate usage of the space too. Just be sure to have adequate property coverage in advance.
- Boost office morale while doing some good. Organize a few employee volunteer days, such as working at a food pantry, cleaning community parks, or volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. Volunteer days are often more cost-effective than simply making a monetary donation. Not to mention these activities can build unity within your organization! Try searching on VolunteerMatch.com to find local volunteer opportunities.
- Use your expertise and skills to bolster a nonprofit. Offer your expertise to a local charity. You can offer to sit on the board to help them make strategic decisions, or use your skills and knowledge by consulting on a specific non-profit organization’s project. Sitting on the board or holding a consultant role allows you to work after normal business hours, and allows you to dictate your own schedule.
- Hold a fundraising contest. A free giveaway can go a long way. Hold an in-house contest among employees to see who can raise the most money; the winner could win a restaurant gift certificate or free massage. The same offer can be made to customers and clients. You can also use free and discounted goods and services to entice customers to fundraise.
- Help collect donations for your favorite charity. This is an easy way to engage your customers in giving to your favorite causes. You can place a donation box by the cash register or host sales days where a certain percentage of every customer’s purchase benefits the non-profit organization of choice. Online businesses can do this too through eBay Giving Works.
By Katherine Bartels