What is a declarations page?
The first page of an insurance policy is the insurance declarations page. It lists the named insured, policy term, and other key points about the insurance provided. Also known as the DEC page, it’s the first place to check for essential information about your insurance coverage.
Most small business policies come with insurance declarations pages, including:
A declarations page is important because it summarizes the key points about your policy. It details what you’re insuring, how your coverage works, and how much it costs.
How is a declarations page different from an insurance policy?
An insurance policy declarations page is part of a much longer document called an insurance policy. The DEC page summarizes the policy’s key aspects, while the policy explains terms and provisions in greater detail.
What does a declarations page include?
A declarations page includes the following information:
- Primary named insured
- Address of the primary named insured
- Additional insureds (those with insurable interest, such as banks and finance companies)
- Policy number
- Policy term (the period in which the coverage is active)
- Name of insurer and contact information
- Identification of the property being insured (building address, auto type, etc.)
- Coverage types and limits purchased
- Policy effective and expiration dates
- Premium (the cost of insurance)
- Premium discounts
- Policy rating information (how insurer derived premium)
- Endorsements, or riders, added to the policy
- Claim reporting information
- Agent / broker contact information
When you receive your declarations page, what should you do with it?
First, review the policy declarations page to make sure the information is correct. If it’s not accurate, you may run into problems when you need to file a claim.
When you’re done verifying your declarations page, store it, along with the full policy, in a safe place. You may need to reference it for future claims or any changes with your policy and carriers.
Get free quotes and compare policies with Insureon
Insureon helps small business owners get customized insurance protection with one easy online application. Start an application today to compare quotes for free.
RETURN TO GLOSSARY