Business Insurance for DJs
Coverage starts at $36 / month
Can't find your industry?
My experience working with Insureon has probably been the best I’ve experienced in years. [They] provided the necessary level of hand-holding right through issuance of the policy and beyond. Just overall terrific.
Customer Rating
4.5 out of 5 stars

Business Insurance for DJs

Guests look to DJs to create the right atmosphere, and when the time is right, to play the perfect tunes that move everyone to the dance floor.

But whether you're dropping beats or serving as the emcee at fundraisers, parties, and weddings, you probably need some form of DJ insurance. After all, venues may require you to carry DJ liability insurance. Plus, your equipment is your livelihood, so it's smart to protect it.

Let's take a look at some types of insurance you might need.

General Liability Insurance

The venue hosting the event may require all vendors to show proof of liability insurance. The venue may even ask to be named as an additional insured on your policy, which is a normal request and something your insurance company can handle for you.

If your contract requires you to have DJ liability insurance, that's usually your cue to look for General Liability Insurance. This policy can help pay for damages you owe when you're responsible for:

  • Third-party bodily injuries.
  • Third-party property damage.
  • Libel, slander, or copyright infringement.

For reference, a "third party" can be anyone who doesn't work for your business, such as the guests at a wedding party, the couple who hired you, the venue owner, or the other vendors you work with.

So let's say an elderly aunt of the bride trips over your equipment and breaks a hip in the fall. Your General Liability Insurance may pay for her ambulance ride and her medical treatment.

If your speakers scratch up a venue's floor while you're setting up, your policy can help cover repair costs so it doesn't come out of your pocket.

Our DJ General Liability policies typically cost about $427 annually. That works out to about $36 a month to protect your business.

Commercial Property Insurance

Your DJ gear is your most valuable business asset – after yourself, of course. If it were lost or damaged because of a fire, theft, or weather event, you'd be out of work until you could purchase replacements. Fortunately, in those instances, Commercial Property Insurance can help you repair or replace…

  • Turntables.
  • Speakers.
  • Microphones.
  • Music collection.
  • Laptops.
  • And more.

You may even consider purchasing a Business Owner's Policy (BOP). It bundles Commercial Property Insurance and General Liability Insurance at a cheaper rate than if you purchased each policy separately.

Inland Marine Insurance

Don't let the name throw you – Inland Marine Insurance isn't a policy for ancient mariners. It's a special kind of Property Insurance that covers your gear in transit and at different locations.

Usually, Commercial Property Insurance can only protect your gear when it's at your primary business location (your office). As a DJ, you need a little more flexibility because your equipment moves with you from gig to gig.

So Inland Marine Insurance offers property protection that travels with your insured items, no matter if they're at a fancy hotel ballroom or in your van. You can usually add this coverage to your Property Insurance policy for an additional cost, but be sure to talk to your agent about your options.