Insurance for Notaries Public
Get quotes in just 15 minutes
Can't find your industry?
My experience working with Insureon has probably been the best I’ve experienced in years. [They] provided the necessary level of hand-holding right through issuance of the policy and beyond. Just overall terrific.
Customer Rating
4.5 out of 5 stars

Notary Public Insurance

As a notary public, you witness document signings for important matters, including…

  • Marriages and divorces.
  • Real estate transactions.
  • Powers of attorney.
  • Certification of copies.
  • Business transactions.

It's your job to verify the identity of the person signing the document and to make sure they're doing it of their own volition. People place a great deal of trust in your ability to execute your duties honestly and accurately.

But if something goes wrong, you could wind up in court. Let's see how notary public insurance can help shield your business from the resulting legal fees.

Errors and Omissions Insurance

Most notaries are required to have Errors and Omissions Insurance, also known as notary E&O Insurance or Professional Liability Insurance. This policy can pay for your legal expenses if you're sued over mistakes in your work.

For example, this policy may step in when someone claims you…

  • Failed to properly notarize documents.
  • Failed to fulfill your obligations.
  • Were negligent in performing your notary duties.

Let's say one of your clients is applying for an international trademark, and they need an apostille for a document. An error in your work causes their international trademark to fail. They could sue you to recover the cost of their expensive international application process, legal fees, and the damage it does to their international sales.

If that happens, your notary Errors and Omissions Insurance can pay for your legal defense, court costs, and judgments awarded to your client.

General Liability Insurance

General Liability Insurance is often one of the first policies small businesses buy because it can address a variety of common liabilities, including…

  • Third-party bodily injuries.
  • Third-party property damage.
  • Advertising injuries, such as libel and slander.

If you have an office, even if it's in your home, you could be sued if someone is injured on your property. For example, if a deliveryman slips and falls while dropping off a package or a client trips over an electrical cord in your office, General Liability can pay for the resulting medical bills or legal fees.

You might also want to consider purchasing a Business Owner's Policy (BOP). This policy is designed for low-risk small businesses like notary publics and combines General Liability coverage with Commercial Property Insurance.

So if your office is damaged by fire, theft, or windstorms, your Commercial Property policy can pay for repairs. It can also pay to replace destroyed or stolen property.