Business Insurance in Connecticut

Compare multiple quotes from top carriers with one application.
What kind of work do you do?
Mountain-laurel, Connecticut's state flower.
Logos of Insureon's Partners
We partner with trusted A-rated insurance companies

Get small business insurance for your Connecticut business

United States map.

Learn about Connecticut's insurance requirements

Online application for small business insurance.

Complete one free application

Multiple small business insurance quotes to compare.

Compare multiple quotes and choose the best coverage

Recommended insurance policies for small businesses in Connecticut

General liability insurance icon

General liability insurance

A commercial general liability policy is important for all Connecticut businesses. It covers common risks, including slip-and-fall injuries. Most commercial leases require this coverage.

  • Customer injuries at your business
  • Damaged customer property
  • Libel and other advertising injuries
Professional liability insurance icon

Professional liability insurance

This policy, also called errors and omissions insurance (E&O), protects consulting firms and other professional services. It covers lawsuits over erroneous, late, or undelivered work.

  • Work mistakes and oversights
  • Professional negligence lawsuits
  • Late or incomplete work
Cyber liability insurance icon

Cyber liability insurance

This type of insurance helps Connecticut businesses survive data breaches and cyberattacks by paying for client notification costs, legal fees, and other related expenses.

  • Data breach lawsuits
  • Client notification expenses
  • Fraud monitoring costs
Business owner’s policy icon

Business owner’s policy

A BOP bundles commercial property insurance and general liability coverage in one plan. It's often the most cost-effective business insurance policy.

  • Customer injuries
  • Damaged customer property
  • Damaged business property
Workers’ compensation insurance icon

Workers’ compensation insurance

Workers’ compensation is required for CT businesses that have employees. It also protects sole proprietors from work injury costs that health insurance might deny.

  • Employee medical expenses
  • Partial missed wages
  • Lawsuits over employee injuries
Commercial auto insurance icon

Commercial auto insurance

This policy is required for business-owned vehicles in Connecticut. It covers injuries and property damage in an accident, along with vehicle theft, vandalism, and weather damage.

  • Accidents involving commercial vehicles
  • Theft of a business-owned vehicle
  • Damage to a company vehicle
Looking for different coverage? See more policies.

Connecticut business insurance requirements

Regional laws can affect which insurance coverage you need for your small business. These policies are required by the state of Connecticut.
Blue check mark

Workers' compensation insurance

Connecticut businesses with employees are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. This policy covers medical bills for work-related injuries and illnesses, and also provides part of the wages lost while the employee is recovering.

Household employees who work fewer than 26 hours per week, such as housekeepers and caregivers, are an exception. All other employees, whether they’re part-time, full-time, or seasonal, must be covered under an employer’s workers’ compensation insurance according to Connecticut law.

Blue check mark

Commercial auto insurance

All business-owned vehicles in Connecticut must be covered by commercial auto insurance. It protects against financial loss in the event of an auto accident.

Connecticut's auto insurance requirements are:

  • $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
  • $50,000 bodily injury liability per accident
  • $25,000 property damage liability per accident
  • $25,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per person
  • $50,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per accident

Trucking companies may need additional coverage to comply with regulations.

Though it's not required, personal vehicles driven for work purposes should be covered by hired and non-owned auto insurance (HNOA), as personal auto policies usually exclude business use. It can be added to general liability insurance or a business owner's policy (BOP).

How much does small business insurance cost?

Business woman calculating costs of insurance.

Commercial insurance can be affordable for Connecticut small business owners. Factors that influence the cost include:

  • Your industry and risk
  • Location
  • Number of employees
  • Type of business insurance coverage
  • Coverage limits
View Small Business Insurance Costs
What our customers are saying
Carousel prev arrow
"I had an urgent contractual requirement for insurance in December to pay before the end of the year. Holly Burton worked with The Hartford to send me an invoice around Christmas. I have saved hundreds in taxes."
Richard C.
Software / internet design
"Raynaldo made quick work of things. I told him what I needed, and ultimately I had a certificate of insurance in a matter of hours."
Michael D.
"The response time was almost immediate. The options I was given were based on my company's needs. I received the policy in record time."
Esther L.
Management consultant
Carousel next arrow
Insureon customer reviews on Feefo

Find the right policies and get your certificate of insurance

Insureon's licensed agents can help you find policies that fulfill Connecticut's requirements and your unique business insurance needs. Once you've purchased insurance with us, you can download a certificate of insurance by logging into your account.

In Connecticut, insurance agencies, agents, and brokers are licensed by the Connecticut Insurance Department. Insureon is licensed in Connecticut as BIN Insurance Holdings, LLC (NPN 15752926) for property and casualty insurance (license number 002352309) and for surplus lines (license number 002353831). You can verify our licensure with the Connecticut Licensing Info Center by selecting "Search by License Number" and then entering either of our Connecticut state licenses.

Compare Connecticut business insurance quotes
Save money by comparing quotes from top-rated insurance carriers.
What kind of work do you do?