OKLAHOMA WORKERS' COMPENSATION LAW REVIEW
As a general rule, Oklahoma requires all employers in the state to carry Workers' Compensation Insurance. Some exceptions are outlined below.
OK Workers' Comp: Key Details
- Sole proprietors in OK can cover themselves under their Workers' Compensation or elect to exclude themselves.
- The "family of five or fewer exemption" stipulates that an employer with five or fewer total employees, all of whom are related by blood or marriage to the employer, are exempt from the Workers' Compensation Act.
- Other employees exempt from the Workers' Compensation Act are…
- Some workers employed in agriculture or horticulture.
- Licensed real estate brokers.
- Most household workers.
- Employees of the federal government.
- A person performing voluntary service who receives no wages for the services other than meals, drug or alcohol rehabilitation therapy, transportation, lodging, or reimbursement for incidental expenses.
- CompSource Oklahoma is the state's competitive state fund. You can purchase coverage through the state funded Workers' Compensation pool, private insurance, or choose self-insurance (pending approval).
Find out more details about Workers' Compensation in Oklahoma from the Department of the Labor Commissioner.