Business Insurance for Dance Instructors
Free quotes in 15 minutes
Can't find your industry?
My experience working with Insureon has probably been the best I’ve experienced in years. [They] provided the necessary level of hand-holding right through issuance of the policy and beyond. Just overall terrific.
Customer Rating
4.5 out of 5 stars

Insurance for Dance Instructors

When dance instructors open up their homes and studios to their students, they also open the door to risk. Whether you teach ballet or ballroom dancing, injuries can happen as dancers refine their movement and push their skills to the next level. You know better than most that it only takes one misstep to twist an ankle or take an unexpected fall. If student injuries happen on your watch, you could be held accountable for the medical bills.

So in order to help dancers find their groove on the dance floor, you need a business insurance that can protect you. Here's a rundown of the dance instructor insurance policies that can help you spend more time on the dance floor, not in the courtroom.

General Liability Insurance

General Liability Insurance is often the go-to insurance for dance teachers. It can help pay for your legal expenses if you're sued over:

  • Third-party property damage.
  • Third-party bodily injuries.
  • Copyright or brand infringement.
  • Libel or slander (in case you get into an online war of words with another dance instructor, for example).

A "third party" may refer to your students or clients, vendors, deliverymen, or anyone who is not employed by your business.

The risk of injuries is a real concern for dance instructors. Fortunately, General Liability Insurance can cover incidents that happen at your home studio and other sites where you teach, like your local YMCA. If you do teach at locations other than your home studio, the building's owner or landlord may require that you name them as an additional insured as well. (Related reading: "Why Your Commercial Lease Requires Liability Insurance.")

So say a young student breaks her ankle while you're leading a class at the local community center. If her parents sue your business to pay for her medical expenses, your General Liability policy can cover the attorney's fees, settlement costs, and other court fines. Even if your business is not liable for the injury, it's still reassuring to know you won't have to pay out of pocket to cover legal defense costs thanks to your General Liability Insurance.

Business Owner's Policy

Dance instructors benefit from a Business Owner's Policy (BOP) because it combines the awesome power of General Liability Insurance with Commercial Property Insurance. You often pay less for this bundle than you would if you bought each policy separately.

Depending on the kind of dance you teach, you may have equipment, props, costumes, and supplies you and your dancers rely on. If you have a dance studio in your home, your space alone is a key business asset.

Unless you have a business property endorsement added to your homeowner's insurance, your studio and business equipment (including laptops or phones) are not covered by your policy. That's why many at-home businesses turn to Commercial Property Insurance to fill this coverage gap.

This policy can pay for repairs and replacements when business property is lost or damaged because of:

  • Fire.
  • Theft.
  • Vandalism.
  • Windstorms.

BOP Insurance assures dance instructors that if a disaster happens, they have the means to recover quickly and get back to work.

Commercial Auto Insurance

If you drive to and from teaching gigs, that's technically using your vehicle for business. Unfortunately, personal auto insurance may exclude coverage for accidents that happen during work-related driving.

Even if the only vehicle you own is your personal one, you can still purchase Commercial Auto Insurance to cover business-related driving you do. That way if you get into an accident while on your way to lead a group of tap dancers, your Commercial Auto policy can pay for related expenses, such as:

  • Repairs to the other driver's vehicle.
  • Medical bills for the other driver.
  • Legal expenses if you're sued over an accident.
  • Repairs to your vehicle if it's damaged by weather, vandalism, or collisions with objects.

If your business owns the car outright, you usually do need Commercial Auto Insurance. Talk to your agent to see if the coverage makes sense for you.