MONTANA WORKERS' COMPENSATION LAW REVIEW
Montana's laws require employers to carry Workers' Compensation Insurance coverage for all employees. Employers working in the construction industry must provide coverage for all employees, both resident and nonresident, while working in Montana.
MT Workers' Comp: Key Details
- Sole proprietors in Montana can exclude themselves from coverage, but may also elect to include themselves.
- Contractors do not have to be covered under your Workers' Comp policy, but the worker must provide proof that they are a certified independent contractor. Without such proof, you may be held responsible for their occupational injuries.
- Some exceptions to Montana's Workers' Comp laws include…
- Domestic and household workers.
- Casual / infrequent employees.
- Freelance correspondents.
- Newspaper carriers.
- Licensed barbers or cosmetologists who contract with cosmetology establishments.
- Petroleum land professionals.
- Certain volunteer workers.
- Amateur athletic officials.
- Real estate, securities, and insurance salespersons paid on commission.
- You can purchase insurance through the Montana State Fund or a private insurance provider. If eligible, you may self- insure.
Find more details about Workers' Compensation laws in Montana from the Montana Department of Labor and Industry.